Thursday, January 31, 2013

January 28 & 30


Activities

The beginning of the concept development class on Monday, January 28, we had to do a group activity which had to sit in order based on our first name from letter A to Z. That was similar to our group activity that we had done before that we had to sit in order of our birthday. I like the group activities because we all helping each other to solve the problem. After solving that problem, we checked to see that we were right or wrong. Fortunately, we were in order. After that, we were separated to four groups to show and talk about our homework. The homework was to find ten different images that could change the meaning and mood of a word or phrase. Then we chose the best of each group. The word or phrases and the images were showed and read to others. That was a very good and interesting exercise to know people’s ideas and creativities. We also made new thoughts for each of words. This sharing thoughts and ideas and communicating with each other help us to improve our skills better.  After that we showed two TED show where a designer and writer talked about their fear based on their career and their creative process. I found some similar experiences and habits between me and them. I notice that people who chose their career in any field have some kind of fear towards future. I had the similar fear and experiences when I wanted to choose graphic design as my major. I heard many negative and sad comments about finding a job and making good money. However, by listen to Elizabeth Gilbert's who is a successful writer, I realized that I can be like her and I better not to listen and pay attention to those negative thoughts.

On Wednesday, January 30, class was separated to two groups and we had to share our or others experience of fear and reaction to our education and career choices and our creative process. We started sharing our experiences and creative process to each other and that was really lovely to know that other people had the same or similar fear and worriers that I had, but we all got the solution and look forward to the future. Most of us experienced the negative and hopeless thoughts and comments from people around us even from our parents. Furthermore, we had some similarities and differences in our creative process. For example, some of us liked to listen to the music while doing a project and some liked to be in relaxing place and not be distracted by anything. This was a really good exercise because we found out that we are not alone, and the fear that we had for job position appearance in other people too. Also, we got to know each other personality, thoughts, and habits better. After that group exercise we watched two TED shows by John Maeda and Tim Brown. I liked the John Maeda better. I think because of the way that he talked and communicates. He kept my attention all the time. I really liked the creativity that he made and design pattern with Cheetos and French fries. I learned that I can make and design something with really simple things.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment